How you’re protected while hosting
Even the most responsible host can still encounter unexpected incidents during a guest’s stay. Maybe a guest spills a glass of red wine on your carpet, ruining it. Or maybe someone slips on a stair on your front porch, spraining an ankle.
While these situations are rare, you can host with confidence knowing that you may be protected by Airbnb’s host protection programs. These programs apply to every Airbnb booking, from check-in to checkout. Here’s what you need to know:
Airbnb’s Host Guarantee
Airbnb’s Host Guarantee is a property damage protection program offered by Airbnb. Under the program, hosts may be protected with up to $1,000,000 USD if their place or belongings are damaged by a guest during a stay.
Airbnb's Host Guarantee may protect:
- Damage to your place caused by guests
- Damage to your belongings caused by guests
- Damage caused by a guest’s assistance animal
Things to keep in mind
- Airbnb’s Host Guarantee is not an insurance policy, and not all property damage caused by guests is within its terms. If you want more protection, you’re encouraged to purchase personal insurance that will cover property damage not protected by the Host Guarantee.
- To be eligible for reimbursement under Airbnb’s Host Guarantee, hosts must first request reimbursement from the guest through our secure Resolution Center. If the guest is unwilling or unable to provide reimbursement, hosts may be eligible for reimbursement under Airbnb’s Host Guarantee.
- Hosts must request reimbursement from the guest through the Resolution Center within 14 days of checkout or before the next guest checks in (whichever is earlier). If the guest declines to pay the full amount, hosts can escalate the issue to Airbnb. This must be done no later than 30 days after the loss.
- Airbnb’s Host Guarantee is subject to the terms, conditions, and exclusions found here. It doesn’t apply to hosts who offer accommodations through Airbnb Travel, LLC, hosts in mainland China, hosts in Japan, hosts of experiences, or hosts of adventures. It is not affiliated with Host Protection Insurance or Airbnb UK Services Limited. Learn more about Airbnb’s Host Guarantee
Host Protection Insurance
Host Protection Insurance is a liability insurance program provided through policies issued by some of the world’s most reputable insurance providers. It provides hosts with coverage for their legal liability up to $1,000,000 USD in the rare event a guest or third party gets hurt, or their property is damaged, during a stay.
Host Protection Insurance may cover:
- A host’s legal responsibility for bodily injury to guests or others
- A host’s legal responsibility for damage to property belonging to guests or others
- A host’s legal responsibility for damage to common areas, like building lobbies and neighboring properties, caused by a guest or others
Things to keep in mind
- In order for Host Protection Insurance to apply, the host must be legally at fault for the guest’s or third party’s injury or property damage
- Host Protection Insurance is considered primary coverage—meaning it applies first and covers you while hosting regardless of other insurance policies you may have
- Host Protection Insurance does not cover damage to a host’s place or belongings—those may be protected by Airbnb’s Host Guarantee
- Host Protection Insurance is subject to the terms, conditions, and exclusions of the policy and doesn’t apply to hosts who offer accommodations through Airbnb Travel, LLC, hosts in mainland China, hosts in Japan, or hosts of experiences. Learn more about Host Protection Insurance
While Airbnb’s Host Guarantee and Host Protection Insurance programs provide property damage protection and liability insurance while you host, there are still instances where they may not apply. You should also review your personal insurance policy so you know what it does and doesn’t cover, especially as it relates to home sharing. The more you know about how you’re protected, the more you can host with peace of mind.
Information contained in this article may have changed since publication.
You might also like
You might also like
Explore more topics
- Get started hosting
- Your space
- Your listing
- Grow your business
- Explore more
- Professional hosting